St. Luke's Featured in Heritage Oakville's 2017 Newsletter
An excerpt from Heritage Oakville's 2017 Newsletter, pages 6-7:
This significant landmark in Palermo Village was constructed in 1845 and has served the community for over 170 years. The property was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2010 to conserve the church building, the historic cemetery and a stone cairn constructed in 1945 to celebrate the church’s centennial.
The church submitted a development application in 2010 to construct a seven storey retirement home on the vacant property directly to the west of the site. The project also included the construction of a new parish hall addition to the historic church building. In order to accommodate the addition, while allowing for appropriate traffic circulation and the conservation of the cemetery, approval was given to relocate the church building to the adjacent lot directly to the east.
The historic church building now sits on a new foundation, oriented towards Dundas Street as it always has been. The new parish hall addition provides more space for community events and activities and contributes to the streetscape of Palermo Village.
Click here to read the full story in Heritage Oakville's Newsletter, Pages 6-7.